All about RTA Cabinets

Everything you might want to know about RTA ready to assemble cabinets but didn’t know who to ask.

For quick answers, call or email we will be glad to help!
We have been supplying RTA Cabinets for Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi and the entire US for more than 12 years, we know what you need and have it in stock and ready to ship directly to you!

We will start with the basics that will help you understand and navigate this website and likely answer many questions you may have so that you can make an informed purchase and get exactly what you need with no surprises.
How to read and understand cabinet sku’s and descriptions, Cabinet terminology, wood species described, cabinet finishes and more…

How to Read the Cabinet Product Code- Item SKU’s

Wall Cabinets

Wall cabinets are listed by an item code. W 
W2430:  The W is for wall, the numbers that follow 24 is the width,  30 is the height of the cabinet.
W2430 = wall cabinet that measures 24″ wide and 30″ tall.
The standard depth for a wall cabinet is 12″.  This dimension is not listed unless the cabinets is deeper or shallower.
W361224   would be a wall cabinet 36″ wide by 12″ tall by 24″ deep.  (The last 2 digits are the depth.)

Base Cabinets

Base cabinets use item code B at the beginning, or DB or a combination including B.
The standard height of a base cabinet is 34-1/2″ and the depth is 24″.
Base cabinets are therefore listed with only the width of the cabinet indicated in the number.
B24      B = base with a standard height and depth, 24 = 24″ wide.
DB24-3   DB = drawer base with a standard height and depth, 24 = 24″ wide, with -3 stacked drawers.

Vanity Cabinets

The standard height of a vanity cabinet is 34-1/2″ and the depth is 21″.
Vanity cabinets are also listed with usualy only the width of the cabinet indicated in the number.
Sometimes the the first letter(s) are different, but will always start with a V
VB24     VB – vanity base with a standard height and depth, 24 = 24″ wide.
VSB24   Vanity Sink Base with a standard height and depth, 24 = 24″ wide.
VDB18   VDB – Vanity drawer base, 18 – 18″ wide

Tall Cabinets

The letter(s) describe what kind of tall cabinet then the width first and height second. 
These are standard of 24″ depth. Sometimes, the depth is listed.
These are pantry/utility cabinets:
WP2484  WP wall pantry,  24– 24″ wide, 84 – 84″ tall
UC2490  UC  utility cabinet, 24 – 24″ wide, 90 – 90″ tall
U248424  sometimes the depth is listed, it will be a third set of numbers.  Usually if the depth is non-standard.
U248418  Utility cabinet, 24″ wide, 84″ tall, 18″ deep.
These are oven cabinets:
O3084  O  -oven, 30– 30″ wide, 84 – 84″ tall
OC308424  OC – Oven Cabinet, 30 – 30″ wide, 84 – 84″ tall, 24 – 24″ deep.

Cabinet Terminology


Accessible – Cabinets specifically designed for people with special needs to aid in independent living. Sometimes referred to as Handicap accessible.

Accessories – Supplemental parts of the cabinet referred to as bells and whistles. Including hardware, our cabinets do not include knobs or pulls. Any nonessential component such as rollouts, pullouts, tilt-outs, inside the cabinet dividers, etc. These are optional accessories that you may or may not need.

Appliance Garage – A storage compartment, usually placed on the countertop between a base cabinet and wall cabinet, which are designed to conceal small appliances, such as a toaster or food processor. Often a corner unit, we have appliance garage in several of our styles.

Appliqué – A carved decorative ornament which can be applied to another surface, such as a wood hood, a fake drawer front, filler or any other flat, empty space. Appliqués are a nice decorative embellishment to add to more traditional kitchen designs. When available, listed with the trims and moldings.


Backsplash – Any material used to cover the wall space between a kitchen countertop and wall cabinets. Choice of backsplash material may vary based on personal tastes, kitchen style, material durability and resistance to water, grease, and fire.

Base Angle Cabinet
Sometimes called base end angle cabinets, are base cabinets that are specifically designed to add an angle to the end of a run of cabinets. It offers more access to storage space where you perhaps cannot fit a regular square-shaped base cabinet due to small spaces where you may need to open up the walk thru. Its angular shape also makes it a great option for creating an island with a more rounded shape.

Base Blind Corner Cabinet – Blind corner base cabinets allow for the use of corner storage space that would otherwise be wasted when turning an inside corner. Rather than being angularly shaped to fit perfectly in the corner, blind corner cabinets are placed against one wall, and perpendicular to the base cabinet of the adjacent wall. The second base cabinet will cover the open side of the blind base cabinet, leaving a singular door for access.

 Base Cabinet – The term base cabinets refers to kitchen cabinets which sit on the floor, underneath a countertop. These cabinets are typically 34-1/2″ high and 24″ deep, and are offered in widths from 9″ to 36″, increasing by 3″ increments. Base cabinets with widths from 9″ to 21″ usually have 1 door and 1 drawer. 24″ and 27″ base cabinets have 2 doors and 1 drawer, while base cabinets with widths of 30″, 33″, and 36″ have 2 doors and 2 drawers.

Base Diagonal Corner Cabinet – Base diagonal corner cabinets are specifically designed to utilize corner space under a countertop that would be otherwise wasted. The door is on a diagonal to the adjacent cabinets.

Beadboard – Beadboard is a type of paneling consisting of a row of narrow, vertical wood planks. Between each wood plank is a small indentation known as a “bead”. Beadboard paneling is a signature component of cottage kitchen styles.

Blind Corner – Any cabinet type, upper or lower, designed to install into a corner of a room. Another cabinet will install directly adjacent to it hiding the blind portion. This gives access to an otherwise dead corner providing more storage.

Butt Doors – Two cabinet doors covering a single opening that is too wide for one door. The edges of both doors nearly meet. The opening does not have a center mullion.


Cam Lock – A cylinder-shaped fastener used in cabinet construction which allows for the cabinet to be held together securely. These fasteners are not visible once the cabinet has been constructed, allowing for a more aesthetically pleasing and durable cabinet.

Center Stile – A vertical strip of hardwood that is a component of the face frame of a two door cabinet. It usually divides a cabinet opening equally, generally on wider cabinets, over 30″ wide. Also referred to as a mullion.

Concealed Hinge – Also called European hinge. A hinge connected to the back of the cabinet door and the inside edge of the face frame that cannot be seen from the outside of the cabinet. This method allows for a more aesthetically pleasing look.

Contemporary Kitchen Style – A kitchen style which emphasizes the clean simplicity of modern kitchen designs while embracing the warmth and personality of traditional kitchens.

Corbel – A corbel is a decorative accessory used in interior design to give a more elegant, crafted look to different elements in the room. Often used under countertops. Also called counter brace. Historically, corbels were used in architecture to bear the load of a heavy object, such as a roof. Its application in kitchen design is for more aesthetic purposes, and are often seen “holding up” countertops, wall cabinets, hoods, and other objects.

 Crown Molding – Crown molding refers to a familyof moldings used to give a kitchen a more elegant look. Crown moldings are usually placed where the wall and ceiling meet, or at the very top of a cabinet. It has the effect of drawing the eye upward, giving the kitchen a grander, more complete look. Crown molding along with other moldings give your kitchen a very finished high end appearance.


Dado – The term dado refers to a type of joint used in the construction of cabinets. A dado, or slot, is cut into a piece of wood, and then a second piece of wood is snugly placed into the slot, creating a strong and secure joining. This joinery method produces a piece of furniture that is durable and strong enough to hold heavy objects. Many of our cabinets assemble with dados, while others are staple and glue.

Decorative End Door – A decorative end door is used to enhance the aesthetics of a kitchen design. These doors match the other cabinet doors in the kitchen but they do not open up into a cabinet. They are usually placed on the sides of end cabinets to give the kitchen a more finished look.They can also be placed on the sides of cabinets used in kitchen islands to give it a more complete and uniform look.

Dentil Mould – A term used to describe a decorative tooth-like pattern on any trim moulding. Can also be place on crown molding.

 Dovetail – A dovetail is a joint technique that is commonly used in woodworking and the construction of cabinets, particularly drawers. Most of our cabinets feature dovetail drawer box construction. The technique involves carving pins and tails into the ends of two pieces of wood. The pins and tails are then joined together in an interlocking pattern, creating an extremely secure joint.

Drawer Base Cabinet – A drawer base cabinet is a base cabinet that has stacked drawers instead of doors. Most are 3 drawers, some styles also offer 2 drawer bases and 4 drawer bases.

Drawer front – Finished front panel of a drawer.


End Panel – End panels are finished piece sof wood meant to conceal the rough, unfinished ends of a cabinet. Most cabinets we stock are finished on both sides and do not require panels or skins.


Face Frame – Face frame refers to the visible trim around the face of a framed cabinet. It is the front part of the cabinet box that the doors attach to.The face frame gives support to the cabinet box, allowing it to be structurally sound.

Filler – A filler is a piece of wood used to conceal an opening or gap between cabinets. Available in 3″ and 6″ widths, fillers helpto compensate for any missing inches that are not covered by cabinets.Decorative fillers add a touch of ornamentation and are a great way to makeyour kitchen more visually appealing.

Finish – A cabinet’s finish is the paint, stain or lamination that is applied in the final stages of cabinet construction. The finish of a cabinet allows it to look more aesthetically appealing. A variety of techniques can be used to create a number of different textures or glosses.

Formica – The Formica Group is a leading provider of laminate countertops. The term formica is often used synonymously to refer to laminate countertops.

Framed Cabinet – Framed cabinets are cabinets that include a structural frame that can be seen around the door of the cabinet. Framed cabinets are available in 1/2″ and full overlays. Door styles with a1/2″ overlay have a door which covers approximately 1/2″ of the face frame at the top and bottom, leaving about 1 1/4″ of the face frame exposed. Door styles with full overlays have approximately 3/16″ of the face frame exposed around the sides, top, and bottom. Wall cabinets have about 7/16″ exposed on the top and bottom, so the door can be flipped lfor eft or right opening on a single door cabinet.

Frameless Cabinet – Frameless cabinets are cabinets that do not include a face frame Frameless cabinets have a concealed hinge and allow greater access to the insides of cabinets. Aesthetically, flat panel frameless cabinets are the foundation of modern kitchens.

Full Extension Guides – Full extension guides are special tracks that are mounted to a cabinet drawer to allow it to open completely. This allows for complete and safe access to the back of the drawer without obstruction.

Full Overlay – Door styles that allow approximately 3/16” of face frame exposed around the sides, tops, and bottoms of the doors. Wall cabinets have 7/16” exposed at the tops and bottoms of the doors.


G-Shaped Kitchen – A kitchen layout design utilizing three walls, with an additional countertop jutting out from one side, forming the shape of a “G”.

Galley Kitchen – A kitchen layout design utilizing two parallel walls with a walkway through the middle.

Glazing – Glazing is a technique used to modify the color and/or texture of the cabinet surface.

Gloss Finish – Gloss finish refers to a cabinet’s sheen, or more specifically, how much light the cabinet’s surface reflects. Gloss is available in a number of finishes, such as flat, low, semi-gloss, and gloss.

Grain – Grain refers to the lines, spirals, or other markings in a piece of wood. Wood grain is derived from growth rings that are created as a tree ages.

Granite – Granite is a popular stone used in constructing countertops. Though most commonly found in shades of pink and gray, granite countertops can be found in a wide variety of colors. Granite countertops are extremely durable and non-porous, making them a cost-effective and hygienic option for countertops.

Grout – A construction material used to fill cracks and openings in surfaces. The most familiar use of the material is with tiling. Once tiling has been completed, grout is used to fill in the spaces between the tiles. This gives the tiles a more finished look.


Hardware – Hardware is a term often used to collectively refer to cabinet pulls and knobs.

High Density Fiberboard (HDF) – A manufactured wood product often used in the creation of kitchen cabinets, like MDF. Used only in doors, drawer fronts and door panels that are painted and subject to expansion and contraction that can cause fractures in the paint.

Hinge – A jointed device attached to a cabinet door which allows it to swing open and shut.


Inset – A framed cabinet with door and drawer fronts set “inside” of the frame itself. The frame is not covered by any portion of the door and/or drawer. The finished design achieves a “custom furniture” look.

Island – A freestanding cabinet or set of cabinets usually placed in the center of a kitchen. Islands are a great way to add extra countertop and storage space to a kitchen. It can also be used to add an extra sink, a cook top, or other conveniences to the kitchen.


Joint – Joint is the term used to describe the method of affixing two objects together, such as pieces of wood.


Knob – A small piece of hardware, usually attached to cabinet doors or drawer fronts by a singular point, which allows the cabinet door or drawer to be easily opened.


L-Shaped Kitchen – A kitchen layout design utilizing two walls, forming the shape of an “L”.

Laminate Countertops – A countertop made using several layers of Kraft paper and resin which is covered by a protective melamine surface. It is compressed and cured with heat to create a durable countertop surface. Laminate countertops are a more affordable alternative to granite or quartz, and is available in a wide range of colors and designs.

Lazy Susan – A lazy susan is a carousel that can be incorporated into a large cabinet. The tray usually rotates a complete 360 degrees to provide easy and convenient access to storage space.

Light Rail Molding – Light rail molding is a special kind of molding that is used to conceal light fixtures that are placed underneath a wall cabinet.


Medium Density Fiberboard (MDF) – A manufactured wood product often used in the creation of kitchen cabinets.

Microwave Cabinet – A cabinet specifically made to hold a microwave oven. They are most often incorporated in the wall cabinets, but can also be incorporated into an island.

Mineral Streak – A mineral streak is a portion of wood that is differently colored due to a deposit of minerals that occurs when the tree absorbs minerals from the soil. Mineral streaks most often appeal as black, gray, or green and usually run parallel to the wood grain.

Modern Kitchen Style – A kitchen style which emphasizes clean horizontal lines and natural elements.

Molding – A molding is a long strip of wood trim that is used to cover transitional areas, such as those between walls and ceilings. As a decorative item, moldings are a great addition to the tops of wall cabinets, to give them a more complete look.

Mortise and Tenon – Mortise and tenon is a joinery method used to connect two pieces of wood. The tenon is a peg which is inserted into a similarly-shaped slot, known as a mortise.

Mullion – The term mullion is used to refer to a cabinet door which includes glass panel inserts instead of a solid wood panel. The glass is separated by strips of wood or aluminum to create a grid pattern.


No Definitions.


Old World Kitchen Style – Old world kitchen styles are meant to emulate the aesthetics of pre-17th century Europe. Old world designs are often quite lavish and feature rustic or antique elements, cabinets with raised panels and distressing and warm colors.

Onlay – A carved piece of wood that is usually applied to cabinet surfaces for decorative purposes. See: applique.

Open Grain – The term open grain is used to describe wood with large grain, such as oak or hickory.

Outside Corner Molding – Outside corner molding is a type of molding used to conceal unfinished corners of a cabinet box.

Oven Cabinet – An oven cabinet is a cabinet with the dimensions necessary to fit an oven.


Pantry Cabinet – A pantry cabinet is a cabinet specially designed for storage, particularly food storage.

Particle Board – Particle board is the term used to describe a manufactured wood product. Particle board consists of wood particles that have been combined with resin and pressed together to form a board.

Peninsula – Similar in design to an island except open on only three sides. Often used in “L” shaped kitchens as serving bars that separate the kitchen from the dining or family room.

Plate Rack – An accessory used to store and showcase plates. Plate racks are usually incorporated amongst wall cabinets for a seamless, aesthetically pleasing design.

Plywood – A construction material made of several thin layers of wood which are glued and pressed together.

Pilaster – A rectangular or column-shaped object that is used to support shelves or cabinets. Also referred to as an engaged column.

Pull – 1. Pieces of hardware that are attached to drawer fronts, allowing them to be easily pulled open. Pulls are most often connected to the drawer front by two points, forming a handle for easy hold.
2. The distance that a blind wall cabinet or blind base cabinet can be pulled from the adjacent wall.


No Definitions.


Rail – The term rail is used to describe the top and bottom horizontal wood beams that make up a cabinet’s face frame.

Raised Panel – A raised panel is the center portion of a cabinet door that is raised slightly higher than the wood surrounding it. Doors with raised panels are available in a number of designs and can be incorporated in a number of different kitchen styles. May also be referred to as a raised square.

Range – An alternative term used to describe a stove or similar cooking appliance.

Ready to Assemble (RTA) Cabinet – Ready to assemble cabinets are unassembled cabinets that come with the materials necessary for the consumer to put it together by themselves. RTA cabinets are a cheaper option for contractors, or experienced homeowners.

Recessed Panel – A recessed panel is the center portion of a cabinet door that is set slightly lower than the surrounding frame. Recessed panels are often made with other materials, such as medium density fiberboard, in order to be thinner than the door frame that surrounds it.

Reveal – The term reveal is used to refer to the part of the cabinet frame that is visible around the cabinet door. When the door is smaller than the door frame but large enough to conceal the inside of the cabinet, a reveal is created.

Roll-out Tray – A roll-out tray is a shelf that slides in and out of a cabinet for easy access to the items stored on it.

Rustic Kitchen Style – Rustic kitchen styles are all about the simplicity of old. Rustic kitchens celebrate the warmth of natural wood elements, particularly through reclaimed furniture. They also tend to feature cabinets with recessed doors, weathered materials, and warm colors.


Scribe Molding – A scribe molding is a thin strip of wood that is used in kitchen design to cover up any inconsistencies in areas between cabinets and ceilings or walls, giving the cabinet a more complete look.

Shaker – The shaker door style is a simple door style which features a recessed center panel. Shaker doors are quite versatile and can be used in just about any kitchen style.

Side mount Drawer Glides – Side mount drawer glides are drawer glides that are affixed to the side of the drawer box, allowing the drawer to open and close easily.

Sink Base Cabinet – Sink base is the term used to refer to base cabinets that are specially designed to hold a sink. Sink base cabinets do not have a back panel or drawers, allowing space for plumbing. These cabinets do, however, have false drawer fronts to match the

Soffit – The area between the ceiling and wall cabinet which juts out of the wall, extending over the wall cabinet. Soffits often conceal pipes, vents, and other objects that may affect the aesthetics of a kitchen. Also known as a bulkhead.

Spice Rack – An accessory used in the organization of spices and other similarly-shaped items. Spice racks come in a variety of shapes and sizes to accommodate various aesthetic or organizational preferences.

Stain – A type of finish that is applied to wood surfaces to change its appearance. Depending on the pigmentation of the stain, the finished wood product may have an enhanced wood grain, or a different color altogether.


Thermofoil – A tough, scratch resistant rigid vinyl that is thermally formed and sealed to MDF to provide a strong, durable surface, resistant to most household wear.

Toe Kick – The recessed area between the bottom of a base cabinet and the floor.

Touch-Up Kit – A kit containing a marker and putty stick which are used to touch up minor nicks and scratches in furniture.

Traditional Style – An elegant kitchen style which emphasizes detailed design and ornamentation. Traditional kitchens often feature more opulent accessories such as appliqués and corbels.

Transitional Style – A kitchen design which combines the sleek lines of contemporary kitchens and the warmth of traditional kitchens.


U-Shaped Kitchen – A kitchen layout design utilizing three walls, forming the shape of a “U”.

Under mount Drawer Glides – Under mount drawer glides are drawer glides that are affixed underneath the drawer box. These drawer glides are stronger and hold more weight than blind wall cabinet side mount drawer glides. Under mount drawer glides are available in a number of lengths that allow for varying degrees of access to the drawer’s interior.


Valance – A decorative treatment which is most often used to cover the uppermost part of the window. However, in kitchen design, a valance can be used for other decorative purposes, such as underneath a wall cabinet.

Vanity – Vanity is the term used to describe the cabinet in a bathroom which houses the sink.

Veneer – Thin sheets of wood which are bonded to a reconstructed wood product.


Wall Angle Cabinet – A cabinet that is specially angled to fit in a corner. Wall angle cabinets allow for a seamless, continuous run of the wall cabinets, as well as additional access to storage space.

Wall Cabinet – Any piece of cabinetry that is suspended above the countertop.

Wall Blind Corner Cabinet – Blind corner wall cabinets allow for the use of corner storage space that would otherwise be wasted when turning an inside corner. Rather than being angularly shaped to fit perfectly in the corner, blind wall corner cabinets are placed against one wall, and perpendicular to the wall cabinet of the adjacent wall. The second wall cabinet will cover the open side of the blind wall cabinet, leaving a singular door for access.

Wall Diagonal Corner Cabinet – Wall diagonal corner cabinets are specifically designed to utilize corner wall space that would be otherwise wasted.

Wall Refrigerator Cabinet – Wall refrigerator cabinets are cabinets that are placed above the refrigerator, allowing access to valuable storage space.

Wine Rack – A kitchen accessory with a slotted design that is meant to store wine bottles. They are often incorporated amongst wall or base cabinets for a seamless, aesthetically pleasing design.

Wood Species – The scientific classification of wood based on the specific characteristics of the tree.

Work Triangle – In kitchen design, the work triangle is the recommended distances between areas of cooking, preparation, and storage. The universal guidelines which dictate how far these areas should be from one another are meant to create a kitchen which is efficient and convenient for the user.


No Definitions.


No Definitions.


No Definitions.

Wood Species


Chatham Oak RTA Cabinets
Oak Door

Oak is a strong and durable hardwood with a coarse, open grain pattern. These wide grains make oak cabinets very receptive to stains, and can be finished to complement traditional and contemporary styles alike. The distinctive grain pattern of Oak wood shines when treated with a darker stain, giving it a more rustic feel. Lighter stains highlight the wood’s golden undertones, making it perfect for lighter, more contemporary looks. The timeless appeal and affordability of oak makes it a customer favorite.


Birch door

Unlike oak, birch does not have a wide distinctive grain pattern. This smooth, medium density hardwood features a closed, nonporous grain, giving it a more uniform appearance. Although usually light colored, the darker hardwood located in the center of the birch tree may add a bit of color variation to your cabinets. Birch is an extremely versatile option for kitchen cabinets as it makes a great foundation for stains and decorative treatments. Commonly used to make stock cabinets, birch is an affordable wood that can be dressed up to imitate more expensive options, such as maple, since it has similar appearance.


Maple Door
Maple Door

Maple is a dense hardwood featuring closed, straight grains. It is usually off-white and may contain light tan or reddish mineral streaks which deepen after staining. This popular wood is sturdy and durable, with the same versatility as birch wood. With Maple, the possibilities are endless.


MDF panel in door
MDF panel in door

MDF (medium density fiberboard) is a manufactured wood product often used in the creation of kitchen cabinets. It is an affordable, versatile, and convenient alternative to solid wood. You’ll find MDF used in combination with solid, often for the door center. MDF is a better alternative in certain circumstances because unlike solid wood, it does not expand or contract. For the more vulnerable portions of the cabinet, such as the door center, MDF prevents unsightly cracks or bubbling in the painted finish.


HDF Door
HDF Door

HDF Also referred to as hardboard, a high density fiberboard (HDF) is a type of engineered wood product.It’s made from wood fiber extracted from chips and pulped wood waste. HDF is similar but much harder and denser than particle board or medium density fiberboard (MDF). It has a density greater than 50 pounds per cubic foot or 800kg per cubic meter. This makes for a perfect stabilizing material for painted doors and door panels.

Ready to get started on your new kitchen?
Go to the layout and design page. Go to the Shop all cabinets in stock page. Go back to the Home page.